"Look At Me"

"Look At Me"
monotype and screenprint

Friday, March 25, 2011

"Heads or Tails"




Technically, this piece is not part of the Autism Art Project. But I am posting it anyway. I made this piece as a part of my thesis show in Tulsa, OK (May 2003). I was at the critical stage in life where a woman has to choose between having a career and having children. I remember, at the show opening, someone telling me, "You know, you don't have to choose between the two. You can have both." The moment she said that, I got chills. It was as if, somehow, I knew that my role as a mother was not going to be easy. I had started filling out applications to teach at universities back in January. Then, out of NOWHERE, I put them aside. I knew it wasn't the right time. That June, I found out I was pregnant with Tyler. Maybe someday I will have both...maybe I can be a mom and have a career. But I know I will never teach at a university. My goals have changed. Things that used to seem important aren't anymore. What is it they say? "If you want to hear God laugh, tell him your plans."

No comments:

Post a Comment