"Look At Me"

"Look At Me"
monotype and screenprint

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Say What???

My kids and I have been sick for 3 days.  Like, extremely sick.  Influenza A hit our house like a tornado.  It hit Derek first, then Tyler, then me.  All of us have high fevers, a nasty cough, stuffed up noses, sore throats, you name it.

Derek manages a tiny smile, despite his fever.

So today, Tyler woke up with pink eye, on top of everything else.  (The kid rubs his eyes a lot, so I'm guessing snot got in his eyes.)

I called the doctor, and of course I have to bring him in.  (They can't just call a prescription in, it's against policy.)  So I muster every ounce of energy I have in me, bundle both kids up, and head for the car.

As we are driving through town, Derek sees the local grocery store.  He says quietly, "Donut?"

The kid hasn't eaten ANYTHING in 2 days.  So I'm shocked.  I ask him, "Do you want a donut, babe?"

Derek:  "Yes."

Of course, Tyler wants one too. So I pull into a parking space to get my kids some donuts.  It's 11:45 a.m.  I'm standing in the check-out, with 2 donuts and some donut holes in my hand, and a lady says to me, "Well, that's a nutritious lunch." and she gives me a L-O-O-K.

Ummm, ok.  Say what?  I was already crabby from being sick.  Then someone has to make a comment like that???

A)  I don't really care about nutrition at this point.  I'm just over-joyed that my kid wants to eat again.  If he wanted potato chips, I probably would have gotten those for him too.
B)  If she was referring to ME eating the donuts--I'm not exactly overweight.  If anything I could stand to gain a few pounds.  (Stress is the best diet EVER.)
C)  Mind your own business.  Same goes for when Derek has a meltdown in a store and people criticize or try to give parenting advice.  Why do people feel the need to say whatever is on their mind?  Especially if they don't know the back-story?  Whatever happened to the Golden Rule, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."

Maybe I am taking all of this too personally.  After all, I am sick.  Or maybe I'm just tired of people being so judgmental.  I would never dream of saying the things I've heard to strangers.

Anyway, we made it to the doctor.  Tyler got his eye-drops.  We got home in one piece and we are now bundled up in bed again.

Just another day in paradise.

3 comments:

  1. Like all good suburban mom's say, "haters gonna hate" and I would drive away from crazy old ass hats like while I imagine giving them a swinging headbutt. Then I smile for the rest of the day.
    Peace
    Shanell
    www.goteamkate.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normally this kind of thing doesn't even phase me! Looking back, it seems kind of funny. I should have given her the flu. ;)

      Delete