"Look At Me"

"Look At Me"
monotype and screenprint

Monday, August 12, 2013

A Boy in Bling...

Just when I'm getting my anxiety about Derek starting kindergarten (sort of) under control, incidents like this happen:

We were playing at the park and Derek took a sip of water from my water bottle.  He promptly spilled it down the front of his shirt.  For those of you that don't know this, my child can't stand having his clothes wet. He likes to swim and he likes baths, but if even a drop of liquid gets on his clothes, he strips.  We've worked on it in therapy, but it's still a problem.

So there we are, in the middle of the park, and Derek is shirt-less.

No big deal, right?  Boys can play without a shirt.  Only Derek refused.  He started crying and wanted to go home.  But it wasn't possible, because we were killing time before a doctor's appointment and we were 30 minutes from home.

Not only was Derek crying, but Tyler was pouting that we had to leave.  Sorry kid.

We got in the car and drove to Target.  I planned on taking Derek in shirt-less.  I figured, if they said anything to me about the "No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service" policy, I'd just beg and plead and explain the situation.  But Derek refused to go into Target without a shirt.  Go figure.  Frantic to dissolve the situation before Derek had a full-blown meltdown, I finally convinced Derek to wear my sparkly-silver-bling hoodie. He gave me a "Mom are you CRAZY?"  look, but he tolerated it when I told him we'd get him a new shirt.



He was more than happy to exchange my girly hoodie for a grey camouflage shirt.

Crisis averted.

*Note to self:  Give kindergarten teacher at least 5 extra changes of clothes.





2 comments:

  1. James is exactly the same about getting even a drop of water on his shirt or heaven forbid his pants! As he has gotten older (now almost 10) things have gotten better. We have been able to talk him through this and no longer have him stripping down to skin all the time. PEACE

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son used to do the same thing, but he did eventually outgrow it...once I learned to keep an extra shirt in my bag!

    ReplyDelete